Translate

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Run... to move without hindrance or restraint.

Well... I guess it is time to write on my blog. It has been a while since I have written but I have a good excuse. I have been in the Philippines for the past two months; and what an experience it was. I learned so much there and it was by far one of the best mission trips that I have ever been on. I helped at an orphanage there and took care of 26 precious kids. God really blessed me this summer and I am so thankful for the opportunity that He gave me to go and serve Him in the Philippines. I loved it there and I already miss the wonderful people I met there and the adorable kids I got to love on these past two months.

I have been busy these past few days packing to go back to school, and I have to admit that I am ready for this new school year to start. I believe that God has great things in store and I look forward to walking the path He has for me. I will be taking a lot of classes for my major this Fall. Which is something that I have been looking forward to and I guess I will find out this semester if I really like Social Work or not. I think I will like it, but we will see.

So... talking about packing reminds me of a song that I just recently heard. The name of it is: “Suitcases” by Dara Maclean. It is a very fun and upbeat song, but it also has a really good message. It talks about how you can’t run when your holding suitcases. The suitcases represent the burdens, mistakes and other things in our life that weigh us down. I would like to share with you some of the lyrics of the song and my favorite part of the song...

"Well, send those bags packing. They're not what you need. Abandon your troubles by the side of the street. Just let them go now, believe me. You can't run when you're holding suitcases. It's a new day, throw away your mistakes and open up your heart. Lay down your guard. You don't have to be afraid. Just breathe, your load can be lifted. There's a better way when you know you're forgiven. Open up your heart. Lay down your guard. You don't have to be afraid. There's nothing holding you back now, just run."

How many times do we try to hold onto things in our life that just weigh us down? The guilt, the troubles, and burdens of our life are so worthless to hold onto. So, drop those suitcases on the side of the curb and go run to Jesus and feel the love, forgiveness and freedom that He gives.

I have been reading the book of 1 Corinthians in the mornings and I am taking it one chapter at a time. It has been really good and I have enjoyed reading Paul’s letter to the church of Corinthians. He gives some good advice. For example in chapter 9, verse 22 through 24, Paul says this: “When I am with the weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings. Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win.”

Wow… run to win. Are you running this race to win or are you just running? Do you have your eyes fixed on Christ? Are you running for Him? When you’re with the weak, do you share in their weakness? Are you looking for common ground to relate to people? Are you sharing the Good News? Where are you in this race? At the beginning or the end? First Place or Last? Don’t be a looser be a winner. Run to win. Don’t give up. Even if you think you are so far behind and you think you will never catch up with the other runners. Don’t worry about them. Worry about yourself. Run to win. Run and never give up. Oh, and remember don’t try to run with those suitcases. Leave those bags behind. You don’t want anything to hold you back. Now go run the race.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” – Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment